Sub-form for Hennessy Hammock – own design
- Perfect fit – designed for Hennessy hammock.
- Weather resistant material – water repellent to protect the down.
- The underblanket weighs about 820 grams, of which 500 grams is down.
- The down is 100/0 (100% down, 0% feathers), 900 cuin fill power (= very fluffy) down.
- Small pack size, designed to never need to be disassembled (goes easy if you want, of course).
- Materials are Gore Dry Loft and Taffeta
- Mainly a sub-blank for the summer season – about 1-2 cm thick.
- Dimensions: Length: 2 meters. Width; 95-105cm (straight), 140cm (diagonally)
Underblanket for all Hennessy Hammock camping hammocks
Momo Jord Underblanket A-sym 500 is designed for Hennessy Hammock Explorer, but it fits equally well on Safari and Expedition, and probably most other of Hennessy’s hammocks too. The shape is asymmetrical (a-sym), so that it matches Hennessy Hammock’s diagonal lying surface. It allows you to keep your whole body warm, and you can stretch your legs and arms as you like. A sub-blank with a perfect fit makes the hammock easier and more comfortable.
This is how you set up your Momo Jord underblanket
(Here’s a video. Sorry, it’s only with Swedish subtitles for now, but I’ll make one with english subs ASAP.)
- Take the four elastic bands on each short side and tie them around the hammock cord that runs toward the tree. Alternatively use triangle thingies for a slightly nicer (but similar) suspension solution. You can also tie all four strings around a hook or carabiner and hang it on the rope. This makes it easier to disassemble the under quilt, but preferably you should never disassemble it once you have it seated properly.
- Thread the side loops on the hammock stabilization ropes (the ones that stick out to the sides) – in this round the loops are a little too tight, so use the hooks we send with – attach them to the stabilization rope and hook them into the under quilt.
- Do the same on the other side (so the whole underquilt hangs well.). Adjust so that the elastic lines from the under quilt are fairly tight – the under quilt should hang firmly, but not too tight.
- Adjust with the drawstrings on the long sides (at the stabilizer lines) until the fit is perfect.
- Wrap the hammock in a compression bag or bishop’s bag, so you won’t have to disassemble it.
Momo Jord Underblanket – FAQ
How warm is the underblanket? Temparature rating?
Honestly: I don’t actually know. The underquilt is developed in a warm climate and has so far not been tested in colder than a +5 degress or so (celcius) – which was no problem at all.
Other manufacturers classify subblankets with 450g down to a comfort temperature of -6 °, and 250g down to -2 °. (I honestly think the numbers seem rather exaggerated and wonder what magic they use?)
I guess my bottom blank is warm and comfortable down to a few plus degrees, but we will see what you all say in the fall and winter.
Does the underquilt fit well? Does it just fit Hennessy Hammock?
Yes and yes :). It is made to fit well on Hennessy Hammock’s hammocks. It has not yet been tested how well it fits with other asymmetrical hammocks, but if the shape is somewhat alike Henessy Hammock it should fit.
For symmetrical hammocks (eg from DD hammocks or Snugpak) I do not recommend this sub-form. (It is possible that a symmetrical down quilt will be made if there’s demand.)
Is and underquilt and underblanket the same thing?
Yes. Loved child has many names and all that.
Do you really need a blanket for the hammock?
You don’t have to, but you probably want to. If it is colder than 20ish degrees you will want some kind of bottom insulation in the hammock. It can be a sleeping pad, an air mattress or a blanket (under blanket).
The downside to sleeping is that it is often narrow, and it is easy for a knee or arm to fall outside and get cold. In addition, bedding has a tendency to slip around the hammock, which you completely avoid with a blanket (which hangs on the outside, of course).
The advantage of an underblanket is that a larger surface is insulated, so you can lie freer as you want. It simply becomes much more comfortable to hammock with a good underquilt.
How is it compared to Snugpak’s underblanket Pack Size? H4>
The pack size is about half that of Snugpaks underblanket (which has so far been the main choice for Hennessys Hammocks).
The area covered is larger, it fits better. The weight is almost half (820g vs 1450g) and our underwear is slightly thinner.
Does the underblanket work with the Classic model with a bottom entrance?
It works! You can only push the underwear a little to the side as you go in and out. Not quite optimal, but nothing you are disturbed by when you have done it a few times.
Does the underblanket fit Hennessy Hammock Safari?
A prototyp of the underblanket.
Trying the underqulit and topquilt in the Himalayas. Ok Views.
The A-sym shape makes that the underblanket doesn’t fit very well on symmetric hammocks. However, it fits perfectly for Hennessy Hammock, for which it’s made.